There is always some confusion about the athletic paperwork. Voorhees uses the Aspen data management system. Here are some tips to help make your experience more pleasant. You will now fill out the Consent for Participation Form and Health History Update Questionnaire in the Aspen system; these two forms are required for each season in which your child participates in a sport or intramural.
The Annual Preparticipation Physical Evaluation and the Inhaler Form, Epi-Pen Form and Diabetic Management Form need to be printed out, signed by your doctor and parent and handed into the Nurses office by the deadline in Aspen.
*Please understand that simply handing in your paperwork to the school does not constitute clearance. By New Jersey State Law, we are required to have our school doctor sign off on your physical exam before granting clearance. We need minimally 24 hours to have this completed once we have your paperwork in hand.
*Keep a copy of your child’s physical. This way you will be able to look up their physical date without calling the school.
*Make sure the physical form is COMPLETELY filled out. If your doctor did not put in your child’s vision, pulse or blood pressure then the form is incomplete and will be returned to you.
*Your child’s vision must be better than 20/40 or they will need to be cleared by an eye doctor. If this occurs, please print out and have the VISION REFERRAL FORM completed.
*If you can, schedule your child’s physical for some time during the summer. This way the physical is good for all three of our seasons.
*On the HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE, if you list a prior injury or medical condition, please put the date or year the event happened in. Please note this is for injuries or illnesses that occurred after your last physical exam. This helps us determine if further clearance is needed or not.
*For each sport season, you are required to complete a new HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE as well as the Consent for Participation Form. Please note that for sports clearance, the student-athlete themselves must complete the Sports Wellness Acknowledgement Form in their own student Aspen account (click on Page Directory, then click on VH Student to access form).
* If you have specific questions that aren’t answered here, please email the school nurses: last names A-L, email Patricia Tomczyk at email@example.com and last names M-Z, email Suzanne Bauer at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
My son/daughter is a freshman and would like to try out for the ____________ team. What do I need to hand in so he/she can be cleared?
As an incoming freshman or a returning upperclassman, your child will need the following to participate in tryouts.
1. Take the Impact Concussion Baseline test or have a valid baseline on file. Link to complete Impact testing if student needs one will be emailed to student. * If you have specific questions on Impact testing, please email athletic trainer Keith Skinner at email@example.com.
2. The PREPARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EVALUATION. You must have had a PHYSICAL EXAM within ONE YEAR OF THE START DATE for your sport. The physical must be printed out, signed by your physician on pages 3 and 4 and include the physical exam date and handed into the nurses office. For example, your child had a physical on April 15th. She is trying out for soccer on August 15th. Her physical would be good until April 14th. Your student athlete and a parent must sign and date this form on pages 1 & 2.
3. Under the VH Sport section in Aspen, the HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE must be completed each season.
4. If your child needs an INHALER, EPI-PEN or DIABETIC MANAGEMENT PLAN form. You will need to print and fill out the INHALER FORM, EPI-PEN FORM or DIABETIC MANAGEMENT PLAN FORM and have them signed by your physician and parent and returned to the Nurse’s Office. This will only need to be done once this year and will be kept on file in the nurse’s office. These forms should be dated for the current school year.
5. Under the VH Sport section, the CONSENT FOR PARTICIPATION FORM must be completed in Aspen and will give consent for the athlete to play sports. It takes the place of individual forms for drug testing and sportsmanship, Impact testing, concussion protocol etc. Signing this form says that you agree with and are allowing your child to be entered into the Random drug testing pool. Signing this form implies that you have read the policies in Aspen and understand the policies set forth in them.
6. Student-athletes themselves need to complete one form in their own student Aspen account, the Sports Wellness Acknowledgement Form.
You should read the policies before signing and dating. There is no specific date for this form but it will need to be turned in prior to athletic/intramural clearance being given.
My child played a fall sport. What do I need to send in for winter team tryouts???
The parent will complete in Aspen a new HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE and a CONSENT FOR PARTICIPATION FORM for that sport. In addition, the student-athlete needs to complete the Sports Wellness Acknowledgement Form for each sports season in which they participate. No other forms are needed if your child was cleared in the fall and his or her physical was done within one calendar year of the first day of tryouts.
My child’s physical was done on August 20th and due to my insurance regulations, I cannot get him another physical until August 23rd. Will my child be cleared for tryouts???
If you are having this problem, please email the nurses. We will try to help get your child cleared for practice and understand the complexities of insurance. Specifically, he/she would NOT be clear until the new physical has been cleared by our school physician. Normally we will fax over your child’s physical to our school doctor. When he clears your son or daughter we will allow them to participate. This usually takes 24 hours to complete.
If my child wants to participate in intramurals what paperwork needs to be filled out?
If your child is going to participate in an intramural sport such as weight room/weightlifting program, speed and agility program, basketball, floor hockey, pickle ball, Frisbee, project adventure, power lifting etc. they will need to hand in the PREPARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EVALUATION FORM printed out and have signed on pages 1 and 2 by the athlete and one parent and dated within 60 days of the first day of intramurals and signed on pages 3 and 4 by your doctor. They will also need to log into Aspen and under the VH Intramural section complete the HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE and CONSENT FOR INTRAMURAL PARTICIPATION FORM.
Also, if your child requires an Inhaler, Epi-pen or Diabetic management plan, you must print out, have signed by parent and physician and returned to the Nurses office INHALER FORM, EPI-PEN FORM or DIABETIC MANAGEMENT PLAN FORM signed by your physician on file for the current school year.
What if my child is playing a varsity/sub-varsity sport and wants to participate in intramurals?
My child is on the track team but is also involved in the lifting program for football, what paperwork do I need???
You need all of the requirements for their current sport on file and also complete INTRAMURAL CONSENT FORM in Aspen under VH Intramural section.
Please remember that as per state rules, the HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE must be completed in Aspen every season. Also, if your child requires an Inhaler, Epi-pen or Diabetic management plan, you must have an INHALER FORM, EPI-PEN FORM or DIABETIC MANAGEMENT PLAN FORM signed by parent and physician and returned to the Nurses office for the current school year.
My child is doing the after school weight training program and also wants to play floor hockey, what paperwork does he/she need?
They will need the HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE completed in Aspen. They would also need to have a current PREPARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EVALUATION on file (done within one calendar year of the starting date of the activity) and the INTRAMURAL CONSENT FORM completed in Aspen (consent form covers all intramurals offered in a given season so a student can participate in weight room and floor hockey without having to register twice). Also if your child requires an Inhaler, Epi-pen or Diabetic management plan, you must have an INHALER FORM, EPI-PEN FORM or DIABETIC MANAGEMENT PLAN FORM signed by your physician on file for the current school year.
My son is going to play intramural floor hockey. Does he need to fill out the physical forms too???
YES. All intramural athletes need to fill out the following forms:
*The PREPARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EVALUATION must be printed out, signed by parent and physician and returned to the Nurses office dated not more than one calendar year from the first day of participation.
*The INTRAMURAL CONSENT FORM must be completed in Aspen.
*The HEALTH HISTORY UPDATE QUESTIONNAIRE must be completed in Aspen each season.
*Also if your child requires an Inhaler, Epi-pen or Diabetic management plan, you must have an INHALER FORM, EPI-PEN FORM or DIABETIC MANAGEMENT PLAN FORM you must print out, have signed by parent and physician and returned to the Nurses office for the current school year.