Blood donations in New Jersey, as elsewhere, are always in desperately short supply and particularly now during this pandemic. While 60% of the population is eligible to give blood, only 5% of those eligible actually do. Yet, every three seconds, someone needs a blood transfusion.
North Hunterdon High School is proud to announce that we are hosting a blood drive on May 26th. Each year, our teachers, students, parents/guardians, and community members have come forward to help others through blood donations. Their generosity was acknowledged again last year as North Hunterdon High School was among the list of leading corporate and educational blood donor groups by New Jersey Blood Services. In fact, North Hunterdon was listed as #1 among high schools in New Jersey. We hope our community’s generosity will continue.
The blood drive will be held in North Hunterdon High School’s Main Gym on Wednesday, May 26th from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Due to Covid-19 and the guidelines that have been established, you will need to reserve a time slot for your donation. Please click HERE for the sign-up link.
While students who are seventeen and eighteen years old may donate legally without parental permission, we ask that they speak with their parents/guardians before donating, and that they obtain written permission (see link below). We also extend a special invitation to our students who will be sixteen years old by May 26th. With parental permission, sixteen-year-olds can donate in the state of New Jersey. In addition to filling out the permission slip below, they must also fill out the New Jersey Blood Services Parental Consent Form linked below.
Reminders and new guidelines for donating:
- All Donors should drink plenty of water and eat regular meals on donation day.
- All donors must show some official form of identification, such as a picture ID or driver’s license.
- If you have a blood donor card, please bring it with you when you donate.
- All donors’ temperatures will be taken prior to entering the blood drive.
- May NOT donate if have had a positive diagnostic test or experienced symptoms of COVID-19 in last 14 days.
- May NOT donate if are on self-quarantine restrictions.
We look forward to your help. Save someone’s life on May 26th!
Greg Cottrell, Ed.D.
North Hunterdon High School