Curriculum & Instruction Period (C&I Time)
The education of the student goes beyond the classroom and extends into co-curricular and extra-curricular activities and athletics. Tutorial assistance for students is also an important factor in the educational progress of students. To provide an opportunity for students to participate in such activities, the Board has scheduled within the school day a Curriculum & Instruction Activity (C&I) period. Teachers will utilize the C& I period for the following types of activities:
- Individual pupil conferences/tutoring/remediation
- Club meetings
- Professional staff/departmental meetings
- Curriculum planning
- Lesson preparation
- Parent conferences
- Interdisciplinary planning
- Teacher supervised detention
Teacher availability during the C& I time for individual student assistance will normally be by appointment at times announced by the teacher and pre-arranged by the student and the teacher.
Staff and student participation in athletic practice during the C&I period is not permissible.
Supervision of Students
Student safety is our primary concern. Teachers must supervise students in their charge while they are in the building. No athletes or club/activity participants should be unattended. These students
should report to their designated activity meeting places or to Café B for Athletic Study Hall. No athletic practices should begin before 3:10.
- All students who report for extra help are the responsibility of the appropriate staff member. Students are not to be released until 3:05 unless they report to the after-school study hall in Cafe B with a written pass from the extra-help staff member.
- All students who are involved in a club or activities are the responsibility of the activity advisor. All students are not to be released until 3:05 on days that the activity buses run. Please be reminded that the activity buses are scheduled to run on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Clubs should not schedule meetings on days in which there are no activity buses without specific permission from the Student Activities Director, Athletic Director or the Assistant Principal for Operations.
- Students assigned to classes which are scheduled outside of the normal academic day are the responsibility of the assigned staff member. Students are not to be dismissed early unless they are involved in another approved activity.
It is to be noted that as our student population has grown, the number of accidents and incidents have dramatically increased during this 2:30 to 3:10 time period. If students are not involved in an activity, athletics or extra help they should leave the facility at 2:25 on the normal bus routes.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in maintaining a safe and secure environment for our students.