Early dismissals are discouraged; however, the school will honor medical/dental appointments, or other appointments that cannot be scheduled outside of school hours, and extreme emergencies.
- To arrange for a student’s early dismissal, a parent/guardian must write a note, call the Attendance Office or, preferably, send an e-mail to the Attendance Office specifying the student’s name, date, time of dismissal, and reason for the request. E-mails should be sent to email@example.com.
- Upon notification of a student’s early dismissal, an electronic SmartPass will be issued for the time the student is leaving. The student must accept the SmartPass on their device (phone or chromebook) to activate it. Student acceptance of the pass is a 3-step process (Select Origin to Accept, enter the room number coming from, and then the final acceptance button) and is required for its activation. The student can accept the pass at any time once it appears on the SmartPass app (they do not have to wait until the time of the dismissal). If the student cannot see the pass when they log into the SmartPass app they must click on the bell icon on the top right of the screen to see passes issued for them. Students may not create their own early dismissal SmartPasses to leave school early and any requests received from students for this purpose will be declined.
- If a student is leaving during a class period, the student must show the SmartPass on their device to their teacher to be able to leave the classroom. For students being picked up by a parent, guardian or other parent/guardian-designated adult, the student will then come to the Attendance Office/front security window to be signed out.
- Classes cannot be interrupted to request that a student be dismissed to the Attendance Office except in the case of an emergency. The purpose of the SmartPass system is to minimize disruption to instructional time.
- When picking up a student, the parent/guardian must come into the school at the front (Rt. 31) entrance to meet the student and sign the student out at the security window. Security personnel at the front security window will request to see parent/guardian ID before releasing a student.
- Students will be allowed to leave with another family member or parent-designated adult (pick-up person must be 18 years of age or older and cannot be a current student at North Hunterdon) if a written note or e-mail from the parent/guardian is provided to the Attendance Office granting parental/guardian permission, or if the parent/guardian calls the Attendance Office to give verbal permission for the alternate pick-up person.
- For a student to be able to sign him-, her- or themself out of school, the student must be a senior with a valid school-issued parking permit. Senior students who will be signing out and driving themselves must have confirmed parental permission provided either via phone call or parent e-mail sent to the Attendance Office – handwritten notes are not accepted for senior students signing themselves out of school prior to dismissal time. Due to school board policy and state truancy laws, parent/guardian confirmation is still required if the student is 18 years old.
- Seniors leaving early are required to show their dismissal SmartPass and sign and scan out (with their school-issued ID) at the security desk located at the theater/courtyard entrance. Failure to sign and scan out at the back security desk will result in disciplinary consequences.
More information about the attendance policy and procedures can be found on the Attendance Office webpage at http://www.nhvweb.net/nhhs/attendance/.