The Technology Department provides access to Google Apps for Education for all active students in the District since 2/4/2013. Students can go to www.google.com and login with their NHV school username and password to access popular Google services such as Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sites, and Google Calendar in a safe environment monitored by the school. This provides students with online storage, online document creation/editing, safe sharing of information within the District, and email services under a well-known and reliable “cloud” platform. Here is what our students get with Google Apps for Education:
- A District-Issued Professional Email Account – With Google Apps for Education, each of our student now have an email address “email@example.com“. This email account is the primary online communication method between students and their teachers. Prior to launching Google Apps for Education at NHV, many students were already using their personal email accounts to communicate with teachers and submit work. With their district email account students and teachers now have a official means of electronic communication for homework submission and assistance. Students can store up to 30GB worth of email messages in their accounts (space shared with document storage). Be sure to read the Guidelines for Appropriate Use of Student Email to learn what is expected from students when they use this service.
- An Online Document Editing Tool – With Google Apps for Education, each student have access to their own “Google Drive”. This is an official “cloud” space where students can create word documents, spreadsheets, and presentation from any computer with access to the Internet. There is no need for students to have a document editing software on their PCs/Macs/Androids/iPads/Chromebooks in order to be able to create and edit documents for their classes. Moreover, documents created online in “Google Drive” can be safely shared with teachers or other students for collaboration (e.g. group projects).
- An Online Storage Space – As part of Google Drive, students can store up to 30GB of files in their school official “cloud” space (space shared with email storage). Student can store any kind of file: documents of any file format, video files, images, presentations, etc. In addition Google Drive offers and online creation/editing tool for text documents, spreadsheets, and drawings. Documents created with the online document editing tool that comes with Google Drive do not count towards the 30GB quota. School officials monitor the content of this online storage the same way we have done in the past with the “H drives” (which are still available within the school). Unlike the files in students “H drives”, files on Google Drive are not erased at the end of the school year and will be retained as long as the student is active in the District.
Students can log-in to their email and other Google Apps for Education services using their school email address and password by going to www.google.com and clicking on “Sign In” (top right corner of the page). Alternatively, a permanent link to Student Email has been added to each school website (once logged into email, students can access the other Google Apps for Education services).
You can use the links below to learn more.
- Original Communication to Parents Regarding Student Email (Feb, 2013)
- Student Email Accounts – FAQs
- Student Email Accounts – Guidelines
- School Email Address vs Personal Email Addresses
- Google Apps for Education – FAQs