What is Google Apps for Education?
It is a set of web tools that the District is providing to all staff members and to all students. Some of these tools include: an online space for storage and document editing (Google Drive & Docs), an online calendar (Google Calendar), an online contact manager (Google Contacts), and an online website creation tool (Google Sites). For students, Google Apps for Education also includes web email (Google Mail, also known as Gmail).
Do I need to have software installed in my home computer to use Google Apps for Education at home?
No. Google Apps for Education is a cloud-based solution. The only thing you need to access any of the services in Google Apps for Education (Drive & Docs, Calendar, Sites) is your browser (Internet Explorer or Chrome).
How Do I Login to Google Apps for Education?
We are fully integrated with Google, so your NHV credentials work on any Google page, including www.google.com which you can use as your login page for your NHV Google Apps for Education account (via the sign in button on the top right). Alternatively, you can login at the login page of each service (e.g. drive.google.com to access Google drive, or gmail.google.com to access your email). If you are not sure where to log in, or if you miss seeing the District logo on the login page, you can start at the dashboard or at ethe “NHV” login page for each service (e.g. drive.google.com/a/student.nhvweb.net/ will let you login to Google Drive with a nice NHV logo at the top). These “NHV” login pages are listed below.
What is my Google Apps for Education username and password?
You will use your school email address as the username and your school password as the password. You might need a little twist in your school password if your password is six characters long:
If your password if less than eight character long, you need to add “12” to your password to make it long enough for Google Apps for Education to accept it (e.g. if your school password is “ABC123” you will need to enter “ABC12312” to access any of the services under Google Apps for Education).
How can I use Google Apps for Education as a student?
Some examples include:
- Because it provides you with an official school email account, you can email your teachers using this email account (for example, if you have homework questions). Note: This is a professional email account, so only use it for school related communication.
- If you type your homework in Google Drive & Docs, you can “turn in” your homework online by “sharing” your homework with your teacher (ask your teacher if this is acceptable before submitting like this). Teachers might add comments online to your work that you can later review if you submit this way.
- You can work online together on a document with other students using Google Drive & Docs. Each member on a project group can edit a common document at the same time (e.g. a report that you are writing together). You and your teachers will be able to see who wrote what on the document by reviewing the “revision history” of the document.
- You can create online calendars to manage your time (for class work, or club activities).
- You have 5GB of file storage in Google Drive. You can use that to store your school related files and access them from any computer or smartphone with an Internet connection (works similarly to DropBox).
Links to the Core Google Apps for Education Services: