Students that participate in string ensemble earn five fine arts credits per year. String ensemble is open to violin, viola, cello, and string bass players or any students that are interested in learning a new instrument and have clearance from Mr. Giannelli.
STRING ENSEMBLE GRADES:
PARTICIPATION GRADES 50% of Marking Period Grade:
1. CLASS PARTICIPATION AND REHEARSAL TECHNIQUE GRADES: You will receive a grade in this area typically once every week. The grade will be based on your participation in class/rehearsal. Your grade can be affected by the following:
– no instrument or music for rehearsal
– late to rehearsal
– gum, drink, or food during rehearsal (THESE ARE NOT ALLOWED)
– cell phone out or used during class/rehearsal (unless requested by the teacher)
– class disruption
– incorrectly storing music, instrument, and/or equipment (applies to in-person instruction)
– no pencil
2. INDIVIDUAL PRACTICE GRADES:
There will be some days that are given for individual practice time during the marking period. You will be graded on the amount of time that you use wisely and/or what you get accomplished. At times, students will also be assigned exercises to build their endurance or to challenge them on their instruments; students will receive participation grades for this type of assignment as opposed to receiving a performance grade (which would be based mainly on accuracy verus completion).
3. SECTIONAL GRADES:
There will be some days that students will work together within their instrumental section to practice as a group or to complete a task. When receiving a sectional grade, students will receive individual participation grades based on their participation in the sectional activities.
PERFORMANCE GRADES 50% of Marking Period Grade:
1. TESTING GRADES: Testing may include written tests, performances of prepared musical excerpts, or small group performances. Performance testing grades still allow for a portion of the grade to be based on completion, however the majority of the grade is based on accuracy.
3. PERFORMANCE PARTICIPATION GRADES: String Ensemble is a performance class. Attendance at a concert in which the ensemble performs is mandatory. The only legitimate excuses for missing an in-person performance are illness or a death in the family. Absences of this nature must be excused with a note from a parent addressed and delivered to the instructor personally, and preferably prior to the concert. Unexcused absences are not tolerated. You will receive two grades for each performance. The following grades can be received for your performance participation grading area:
– performed in concert with proper performance attire 100% (A)
– performed in concert without proper performance attire 85% (B)
– failed to attend concert 0% (F)
For virtual performances, grades will be given for completion of tasks set forth to put the performance together. This may either be something like pre-recording audio, creating video recordings, or participating in a pre-recorded live performance.
View the STRING ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE and get the dates in your schedule ASAP! At this point, we are unsure of the format for each performance. If a specific performance is done virtually, the date listed will be the date that the recording is released.
Please note that there may be additional performances. We would never schedule a concert without trying to give at least a month notice.
- Be on time to class.
- Have your instrument and music everyday.
- No talking while someone is standing on the podium or when someone else is talking.
- Treat others with respect.
- No gum, food, or drink during rehearsal time.
- Cell phones should not be out or used during rehearsal.
- Take care of your instrument and be aware of other instruments in your vicinity.
- Treat the music rooms & equipment with respect.
STRING ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE ATTIRE:
Students participating in String Ensemble are required to wear the following uniform for performances. These items can be purchased on your own, or you can choose to purchase a uniform through the school. We will distribute uniform ordering information to students and parents/guardians via email.
1. Black suit (or black pants and black jacket)
2. White shirt (tuxedo shirt or dress shirt)
3. Black tie (or black bow tie)
4. Black shoes and socks
1. Full length black dress OR black dress pants and a black blouse (no shorter than regular short sleeves)
2. Black dress shoes (no sandals)