This course is designed to give students an understanding of the in-depth mechanics of music. We will
be studying various aspects of music stemming from its three main components: rhythm, melody, and
Each student is expected to have for every class:
1. pencils (absolutely NO assignments will be accepted in pen)
2. three ring binder (1” or 11⁄2”)
3. spiral bound manuscript notebook or manuscript paper
4. paper keyboard (provided to you)
5. chromebook and headphones
MUSIC THEORY NOTEBOOK:
Each student is expected to keep a music theory notebook. All class notes and handouts should be kept
in this notebook along with quizzes and tests. All materials in the notebook should be arranged in a
systematic order according to date.
This notebook will be checked once a marking period and will count as one homework grade. Anyone
with an “A” average at the time of the notebook check will receive an automatic “A” for their notebook
This course will run for a half year and will be based on the following types of grades:
Homework & In Class Assignments – 40% of marking period grade
Sight Singing, Keyboard, & Dictation Grades – 10% of marking period grade
Quizzes & Tests – 30% of marking period grade
Special Projects – 20% of marking period grade
● Assignment Due Dates Are Firm, but you will be allowed one late assignment per marking period.
● It is your responsibility to stay on top of due dates and to make-up notes, assignments, or quizzes
that are missed as the result of absence from class.
There will be a comprehensive final at the end of the course.
- Treat others with respect.
- No speaking while someone else is talking.
- Be on time to class.
- Have your class materials with you for each class.
- No food or drink in class unless cleared with the teacher.
- Cell phones should not be out or used during class (unless requested by the teacher).