The concert band is the largest instrumental performing ensemble at Voorhees. Students that participate in concert band earn five fine arts credits per year. Concert band is open to woodwind, brass, and percussion players or any students that are interested in learning a new instrument and have clearance from Mr. Giannelli or Mr. Reynolds. Band rehearsals meet during Block 5.
CONCERT BAND GRADES:
Concert Band grades will be determined based on the following grading areas:
1. CLASS PARTICIPATION AND REHEARSAL TECHNIQUE GRADES: You will receive a grade in this area typically once every two weeks. The grade will be based on your participation in rehearsal. Your grade can be affected by the following:
– no instrument or music for rehearsal
– late to rehearsal
– gum, drink, or food during rehearsal (THESE ARE NOT ALLOWED)
– checking cell phone
– class disruption
– incorrectly storing music, instrument, and/or equipment
– no pencil
2. TESTING GRADES: Testing may include written tests, sectional performance testing, or individual performance testing.
3. PERFORMANCE PARTICIPATION GRADES: Concert Band is a performance class. Attendance at a concert in which the band performs is mandatory. The only legitimate excuses are illness or a death in the family. Absences of this nature must be excused with a note from a parent addressed and delivered to the instructor personally, and preferably prior to the concert. Unexcused absences are not tolerated. You will receive two grades for each performance. The following grades can be received for your performance participation grading area:
– performed in concert with proper performance attire 100% (A)
– performed in concert without proper performance attire 85% (B)
– failed to attend concert 0% (F)
View the CONCERT BAND PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE and get these dates in your calendar ASAP.
Please note that there may be additional performances. We would never schedule a concert without trying to give at least a month notice.
4. SECTIONAL GRADES:
Sectionals will be from time to time during the marking period. Sectionals will be run during the band period. You will be graded on the amount of time that your section is working during this rehearsal period and/or what you get accomplished.
- Be on time to class.
- Have your instrument and music everyday.
- No talking while someone is standing on the podium or when someone else is talking.
- Treat others with respect.
- No gum, food, or drink in the band room during rehearsal.
- Cell phones should not be out or used during rehearsal (unless requested by the director).
- Take care of your instrument and be aware of other instruments in the room.
- Treat the music rooms with respect.
CONCERT BAND PERFORMANCE ATTIRE:
Students participating in Concert/Freshmen Band are required to wear one of the following uniform options for performances. These items can be purchased on your own, or you can choose to purchase a uniform through the school. All uniform orders are due to Mr. Giannelli October 2nd.
1. Black suit (or black pants and black jacket)
2. White shirt (tuxedo shirt or dress shirt)
3. Black tie (or black bow tie)
4. Black shoes and socks
1. Full length black dress OR black dress pants and a black blouse (no shorter than regular short sleeves)
2. Black dress shoes (no sandals)