The VHS Jazz Ensemble is an auditioned ensemble that rehearses from 2:30-3:10 on Mondays and Thursdays. Rehearsals take place between the end of the school day and the beginning of athletic practices and extra curricular activities. Students that are accepted into the jazz band will receive a grade for the course and 2.5 fine arts credits for the year.
JAZZ ENSEMBLE GRADES:
Jazz Ensemble grades will be determined based on the following grading areas:
1. CLASS PARTICIPATION AND REHEARSAL TECHNIQUE GRADES: You will receive a grade in this area typically once every two weeks. The grade will be based on your participation in rehearsal. Your grade can be affected by the following:
– no instrument for rehearsal
– no music
– gum, drink, or food during rehearsal (THESE ARE NOT ALLOWED)
– late to rehearsal
– incorrectly storing music, instrument, and/or equipment
– no pencil
2. TESTING GRADES: Testing may include written tests, sectional performance testing, or individual performance testing.
3. PERFORMANCE PARTICIPATION GRADES: Jazz Band is a performance class. Attendance at a concert in which the band performs is mandatory. The only legitimate excuses are illness or a death in the family. Absences of this nature must be excused with a note from a parent addressed and delivered to the instructor personally, and preferably prior to the concert. Unexcused absences are not tolerated. You will receive two grades for each performance. The following grades can be received for your performance participation grading area:
– performed in concert with proper performance attire 100% (A)
– performed in concert without proper performance attire 85% (B)
– failed to attend concert 0% (F)
View the JAZZ ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE and get the dates in your calendar ASAP!
Please note that there may be additional performances. We would never schedule a concert without trying to give at least a month notice.
4. LESSON/SECTIONAL GRADES:
In addition to Jazz Ensemble, any students passing the audition will be signed up for 1 credit of Jazz Lessons. For this grade, students will complete one lesson/practice session (20 minutes) and one sectional (40 minutes) per month. Lessons will be done on an individual basis during student free time. Sectionals will be organized by the all students within the same section (saxes, trumpets, trombones, or rhythm) and will be scheduled during group free time.
- Be on time to class.
- Have your instrument and music everyday.
- No talking while someone is standing on the podium or when someone else is talking.
- Treat others with respect.
- No gum, food, or drink during rehearsal.
- Cell phones should not be out or used during rehearsal.
- Take care of your instrument and be aware of other instruments in the room.
- Treat the music rooms with respect.
JAZZ ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE ATTIRE:
Students participating in Jazz Ensemble are required to wear the following uniform for performances. These items can be purchased on your own, or you can choose to purchase a uniform through the school. All uniform orders must be in to Mr. Giannelli by September 25th.
1. Black suit (or black pants and black jacket)
2. White shirt (tuxedo shirt or dress shirt)
3. Black tie (or black bow tie)
4. Black shoes and socks
1. Full length black dress OR black dress pants and a black blouse (no shorter than regular short sleeves)
2. Black dress shoes (no sandals)