Students that participate in string ensemble earn five fine arts credits per year. String ensemble is open to violin, viola, cello, and string bass players or any students that are interested in learning a new instrument and have clearance from Mr. Giannelli. Rehearsals meet during block 2.
STRING ENSEMBLE GRADES:
String Ensemble grades will be determined based on the following grading areas:
1. CLASS PARTICIPATION AND REHEARSAL TECHNIQUE GRADES: You will receive a grade in this area typically once every two weeks. The grade will be based on your participation in rehearsal. Your grade can be affected by the following:
– no instrument or music for rehearsal
– cell phone out or used during rehearsal
– gum, drink, or food during rehearsal (THESE ARE NOT ALLOWED)
– late to rehearsal
– incorrectly storing music, instrument, and/or equipment
– no pencil
2. TESTING GRADES: Testing may include written tests, sectional performance testing, or individual performance testing.
3. PERFORMANCE PARTICIPATION GRADES: String Ensemble is a performance class. Attendance at a concert in which the band performs is mandatory. The only legitimate excuses are illness or a death in the family. Absences of this nature must be excused with a note from a parent addressed and delivered to the instructor personally, and preferably prior to the concert. Unexcused absences are not tolerated. You will receive two grades for each performance. The following grades can be received for your performance participation grading area:
– performed in concert with proper performance attire 100% (A)
– performed in concert without proper performance attire 85% (B)
– failed to attend concert 0% (F)
View the STRING ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE and get the dates in your schedule ASAP!
Please note that there may be additional performances. We would never schedule a concert without trying to give at least a month notice.
4. INDIVIDUAL PRACTICE GRADES:
There will be some days that are given for individual practice time during the marking period. You will be graded on the amount of time that you use wisely and/or what you get accomplished.
- Be on time to class.
- Have your instrument and music everyday.
- No talking while someone is standing on the podium or when someone else is talking.
- Treat others with respect.
- No gum, food, or drink during rehearsal time.
- Cell phones should not be out or used during rehearsal.
- Take care of your instrument and be aware of other instruments in the room.
- Treat the music rooms with respect.
STRING ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE ATTIRE:
Students participating in String Ensemble are required to wear the following uniform for performances. These items can be purchased on your own, or you can choose to purchase a uniform through the school. All uniform orders are due to Mr. Giannelli between October 2nd and 6th.
1. Black suit (or black pants and black jacket)
2. White shirt (tuxedo shirt or dress shirt)
3. Black tie (or black bow tie)
4. Black shoes and socks
1. Full length black dress OR black dress pants and a black blouse (no shorter than regular short sleeves)
2. Black dress shoes (no sandals)