Postponing Sexual Involvement Workshop
After participating in this workshop, students will be able to:
- Describe at least three reasons why teens become sexually involved
- Describe at least three reasons why teens do not become sexually involved
- Describe at least three possible consequences of early sexual involvement
- Identify at least five relationship qualities that are important to have before beginning a sexual relationship
- Demonstrate three negotiation and refusal skills
Take Home Messages
The goal of this workshop is to guide students in a decision-making process about becoming sexually involved that will allow them to reach their own conclusions.
While conducting the workshop, peer educators should keep in mind the major messages for participants to take home:
- There are many reasons why teens have sex, but many of these are unhealthy.
- There are many healthy reasons to wait to have sex.
- A healthy, respectful, and mutually satisfying relationship is possible when a couple invests the time and commitment necessary to develop trust, communication, intimacy, and asks permission for any sexual behavior.
- It is possible to be assertive and to negotiate in relationships. It is also possible to get out of unwanted situations by using refusal skills.